~~~ CONTEST THEME ~~~See the Contest Home page for more details on the theme. ;-)
Deadline: Friday, August 15, 2008 at 11:59 PM PST
To see the deadline in your own local time, click here.
- RULES: Please read all the rules before entering
- SUBMISSIONS: How to send in your art
- RESOURCES: Try here if you don't have a drawing program
- JUDGING: Panel of judges and judging criteria
- PRIZES: Oooh the fun and juicy part
- PUBLICITY: Please help advertise this contest!
A note about judging....
This is NOT a typical art contest. It is NOT to simply see who "draws the best". Any creative artist can win an award, regardless of skill level.
This contest is open to everyone except judges.
Good luck to all the contestants!
THE 4 MAIN RULES |
Submissions that do not follow these rules will be ignored. :-o
1. NO COPYING OR THEFT!
You must create 100% of your entry! The IDEA and POSES of the art must be yours. Artwork CANNOT be based off other pictures (official RK art, some other series, or some other fan.) If you draw scenes that are in the series, you cannot draw them from the exact same angle with the same poses.
If you have questions about this rule, ask. If you have a pic you're not sure about, show me. I won't disqualify you if you show me a pic just to ask.
- NO EYEBALLING (COPYING). This means looking at a picture and drawing an imitation of it. Even though you drew it freehand, it looks just like the original you copied from. This is fine for practice, and I accept these in my normal gallery. But it's not acceptable for a contest!
- NO TRACING.
- NO PHOTO-EDITS OR PAINTOVERS. Photo edits are when you take a photograph and digitally alter it in some way. Paintovers are when you paint on top of a photograph.
- MAKE ALL BACKGROUNDS YOURSELF. NO PHOTOGRAPHS even if you took the picture yourself. No images that you found on-line.
- NO WALLPAPERS.
- NO STEALING other people's works and claiming them as your own. If I catch you at this, I will NEVER accept any artwork from you again.
- COLLABORATIONS ARE OKAY. Please provide information as to which artist did what part of the pic.
If you find a contest entry that you think has been copied or stolen, contact me PRIVATELY. Do not make public accusations.
2. IMAGE SPECIFICATIONS:
Any image that does not meet these specifications will be ignored.
JPG or GIF files only (preferably JPG).No PNG, BMP, TIFF, PSD, PDF, DOC, etc.
No submissions by snail-mail.
Dimensions must be 1000x1000 pixels or less.Scanned images are often much larger than this, and Windows and IE tend to automatically shrink images for viewing so that they look smaller. Don't be fooled. Always check file properties.
File size must 250kb or less.
Please make sure images are oriented right side up.
If you don't understand, check the IMAGE HELP PAGE. Or find a friend or family member to help. Please do not ask me to teach you.
If you don't have a program to shrink and convert files, I recommend IrfanView. It's FREE and easy to use. I've got instructions for it at the image help page.
3. ART CAN BE DONE IN ANY STYLE OR MEDIUM.
Alternate Universe type pics are perfectly okay.
Any style is acceptable: anime/manga style, realistic, etc. In fact, using your own style (instead of the canon artwork style) is very highly encouraged.
Please note: Photos as backgrounds are not permitted.
Traditional and digital media are both welcome. If your entry is a 3D work (like a sculpture), send a photo of the sculpture with a card or piece of paper (in the photo) stating your name.
4. PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING RESTRICTIONS:
- Maximum of 3 entries per contestant.
- New art only. Artwork must have been finished after March 1, 2008.
- No racist, sexist, or otherwise hurtful themed pics.
- No NC-17 pictures! Many site visitors are minors, so try to keep pics PG-13. R-rated pics will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
READY TO SEND IN YOUR PIC?
WHAT HAPPENS TO SUBMITTED PICS?
All submitted pics will be uploaded to my website. There will be a contest page in the fanart section that will become a permanent page of the site.
Sometime during or after the contest, I MAY incorporate all contest pics into the regular fan art gallery. For people who have never submitted pics before, I will make a profile page for you. Profile pics contain your name (or alias), e-mail, and website URL. If you don't want your art included, please check the appropriate box on the entry form.
DIGITAL ART RESOURCES |
BUT WHAT IF I HAVE NO SCANNER AND NO DRAWING PROGRAM?
There are plenty of excellent free drawing programs available on-line.
FREE ART PROGRAMS:
Art Rage: This program simulates traditional media very well. If you want to make your picture into a JPG file, EXPORT the picture as a JPG. The program doesn't allow you to just save as a JPG.
The Gimp:A "poor man's Photoshop".
Oekaki Board: You can always use the oekaki board at this site. It's free, and it doesn't require you to download anything.
ART PROGRAMS WITH FREE TRIAL PERIODS:
Trial downloads usually last about 30 days.
Open Canvas: I've never been able to get this program to work on my computer, but other artists have used it and say it's really good. I'll take their word for it.
Adobe Photoshop: This program is very expensive and takes up a lot of space on your hard drive compared to other programs, but it's very good. If you're interested, you can click on "tryout" in the "Download" menu for a free trial version.
Rurouni Kenshin characters are the property of creator Nobuhiro Watsuki, Shueisha, Shounen Jump, and Sony Entertainment. This is a non-profit fan-site for entertainment purposes only. Permission was not obtained from the above parties. If any of the above parties or their representatives have a complaint regarding any fan artwok posted on this site, please e-mail me, and I will comply with any stated requests.