HakuBaikou.com

fan fiction hakubaikou.com home Fan fictions are posted by my request only. Sorry, I do NOT take submissions. For more info, please see the FAQ. Thanks for your understanding!


Browse by...

Author  ||  Title  ||  Genre  ||  Era  ||  Character  ||  Length


archive stats
newest story additions
most recent chapter updates


spotlights
 


About Archive  ||  Legal Issues  ||  Terms & Ratings




about this archive
Feel free to ignore this section if you've been a visitor at this site before. If you're new to this site or to fan fiction in general, the following info may be helpful.

MENU BARS

Lengthy stories with more than 10 chapters will have their own chapter menu bar at the bottom of the page if you click on the link to the story from any of the browsing indexes. But if you click on a link to a specific chapter (at the author's page) then the menu will not appear. Does that make sense? If not, then just click around until you see what I'm talking about.

RATINGS

Story ratings are decided by the authors themselves. Please do not ignore the ratings and warnings. They are there for a reason. The vast majority of stories at this site are rated G to PG-13, but note that there are a few R's scattered here and there. There are no NC-17 level stories posted at this site.

SPOILER WARNINGS

Spoiler warnings are listed in the authors' pages as well as on each chapter page. Be aware that the story summaries are written by the authors themselves, and some of them may contain spoilers for the series/manga.

AUTHOR'S NOTES

I mostly keep author's notes unedited. However, I do tend to edit out notes to individual reviewers since these reviews are from a different site and would make no sense here. If you have a problem with this, sorry. It was done by me, not by the authors themselves.

SHONEN-AI

A few of the fan fics archived here may contain some mild shonen-ai content in certain chapters. An even fewer number of fics may have shonen-ai content as a central theme. These stories will have clear warnings (by me or by the authors themselves) listed at the top of the first chapter and possibly also the chapter that contains the shonen-ai segments.

If you are not comfortable with reading such material, please save yourself the discomfort and avoid these stories. If you feel compelled to comment on this issue, please address all e-mails to me, Haku Baikou, rather than the authors. Their stories are posted here AT MY REQUEST, so I don't feel it is fair for them to be subjected to possibly negative remarks. And please remember to keep the e- mails civil. I'm happy to discuss the issue, but I will not dignifiy rude or improper e-mails with a response.

If you don't know what shonen-ai means, please see below in the Terms and Ratings section.

SUBMISSIONS

I do not take fan fiction submissions. Period. Unlike the artwork gallery (which is open to submissions), the fanfic section will remain by invite only. This is partly to maintain fic quality, and partly due to other reasons which I won't go into here. I know that it's always nice to allow people to contribute their work, but I don't plan on changing this policy anytime soon. Thanks very much for your understanding on the matter.

POSTING FAN FICS

If you would like to archive one of the fan fictions from this site on your own site, please e-mail the individual author to request permission.



terms and ratings
Those of you new to anime fan fiction may find some of the terms a little confusing. Hopefully this will help clear things up a bit.
TERMS & ABBREVIATIONS

I won't bother including all the terms used in fan fiction in general since there are far too many. There are other websites that do a far better job of explaining things than I can. I'm only including ones relevant to this site.

  • AE: Alternate events. One or more of the events from the series or manga is drastically altered. These would include "what if" type stories as well as non-canon pairing stories.

  • AU: Alternate universe. The characters from Rurouni Kenshin remain the same, but the setting (time and place) is not in late 19th century Japan.

  • OC: Original character made up by the fan- fic author.

  • OOC: Out of character. Pretty self explanatory. Some of the characters don't act the same way they do in the anime or manga.

  • WAFF: Warm and fuzzy feeling.

  • Hentai: Contains high sexual content. This site does not host any stories of this nature.

  • Lemon: High sexual content. This site does not host lemons. Well, maybe 1 or 2 borderline, but nothing graphic.

  • Lime: Mild sexual content.

  • Shonen-ai: Romantic situations or interactions between two male characters, usually not sexually explicit. Stories at this site with shonen-ai content will be clearly marked with a warning at the top of the first page of the story. If you find this offensive, please do not torture yourself by reading these.

  • Yaoi: Relationships between two males. A step up from shonen-ai, these contain higher sexual content and are often rather graphic. This site does not host yaoi fics.

  • Flaming: Criticism or other negative comments aimed at an individual. Meant to be insulting and hurtful. Obviously, I don't condone this. Constructive criticism is a good thing. Flaming is just...uncivilized.
RATINGS

I would hope these are self-explanatory, but just in case they arent....

  • G: Appropriate for all ages.

  • PG: Appropriate for all ages, although some material may not be suitable for young children.

  • PG-13: Some material may not be appropriate for children under 13. May contain strong language, violence, romantic situations, etc.

  • R: Well, for movies, this means no admission of minors without an accompanying adult. For fan fics it means this contains some adult material that may not be suitable for those under 17.

  • NC-17: This site does not host any NC-17 stories. Explicit or graphic adult content, often sexual in nature. Readers under 17 shouldn't be looking at these. And writers under 17 sure as hell shouldn't be writing these, if you ask me. I've read some NC-17 stories that I really like, but I just don't plan on including anything with that rating here because it's too much of a hassle to plaster this site with warnings (that will most likely be ignored anyway.) I have no intention of traumatizing some little kid who stumbles onto an NC-17 fic out of curiosity... and isn't emotionally ready for it yet. So none of that on this site.



fan fic legal issues
05.Jul.2003

Here are a few sites I found on-line that may be of use to anyone interested in this matter. I am posting this information because of a recent incident I stumbled across involving plagiarism of one fan fiction writer by another. This incident is probably just one among many, but it's the only one that I have come across personally (so far) and it has made me really think about legal issues in fan fiction in general.

What happens when a possibly copyright infringing work of one fan author is plagiarized by another fan author? What happens when you have young writers (say, 12 and 13 year- olds) who aren't necessarily aware of the concept of copyrights or plagiarism, who in their enthusiasm, blithely write stories without disclaimers giving credit to the original creators, or copy other people's fan fictions word for word and claim it as their own without a second thought?

Interesting questions all, if you ask me. Most of them are answered in the sites below. So take a look if you're interested. And if you read the above and still have no idea what I'm talking about then... *sigh* Never mind. I tried.

Oh, and does anyone happen to know Nobohiro Watsuki's stance on fan works? Does he have an e-mail address or a FAQ page somewhere on-line in English? I have no idea where to even begin to find out such information. If you know, please e-mail me!

About Archive  ||  Legal Issues  ||  Terms & Ratings





Rurouni Kenshin characters are the property of creator Nobohiro Watsuki, Shueisha, Shounen Jump, Sony Entertainment, and VIZ comics. Fan fictions archived at this site are non-profit, for entertainment purposes only. Permission was not obtained from the above parties. -- Haku Baikou